Show Side Menu
Call 111 - When it is less urgent than 999

Disposal of clinical or medical waste

We have had a number of inquiries from patients about how to dispose of clinical/medical waste.

For patients living in the South Ribble Borough Council (SRBC) area, a weekly clinical waste collection can be made to any household in the borough that requests it.

SRBC currently offer a collection service for yellow clinical waste bags and yellow sharps boxes (with a yellow or orange lid only).

The yellow bags are for soiled dressings/swabs. Please ensure the bags are securely tied and your patient number is clearly displayed.

Any needles or sharps waste needs to be disposed of in the appropriate coloured box.

Both yellow clinical waste bags and sharps boxes can be ordered via your usual surgery within the NM Health Innovations group.

For more information on this service or to request a collection please call the SRBC Gateway service on 01772 625625 or email

For patients residing within the Chorley Council area, a domestic clinical waste collection service takes place every Thursday.

To request the clinical collection service, you must do so via the council’s website at

When registering, you will need the name of your GP who can confirm that the service is needed.

Waste must be placed in yellow clinical waste bags and boxes, which again can be ordered via your usual surgery within the NM Health Innovations group.

Patients living in the Preston City Council (PCC) area can register via the website at for a free clinical waste collection service.

Please check the PCC website for a list of the items eligible for this collection.

Any patients with queries about any of the above should ocntact their surgery for advice.


Find a support worker role near you today
Local Services, Let Home Chairs UK Ltd